Energy is everything. You can’t see it, but you can definitely feel it. If you’ve ever instantly disliked someone without knowing why – or on the flip side, instantly connected with them – it’s because of the ‘vibe’ that you are both radiating. Some people give off negative vibes, and others positive.
What’s important is that we are naturally attracted to people who give off a similar vibe to ourselves – that’s why, if you’re in a negative state, you may feel attracted to people who are also negative, and dislike or be repelled by people who are vibrating more positively.
Your home and your workplace are powerful concentrations of “your” energy just because of the amount of time you spend there. The thoughts you think, the words you say, the actions you take, are very strong in your home. So it’s important to clear out negative energy in these physical spaces, and at the same time clear out any negative energy that’s stuck within you, so you can start an upward trend in your life.
Here are some ways to clear negative energy:
1. Clean up! Every time you get rid of clutter, dirt and dust, and straighten up and organize your belongings, you are restoring order. Think about it – a clean, orderly space feels light and bright – lightness and brightness are very high-vibrating energies! Your home and workplace are not only concentrations of your energy, but they are reflections of your inner state.
Clean up your mind with the right use of the word “but.” Every time you think or say a negative phrase, add “but” to the end and add a positive statement to neutralize it. For example, “I can’t afford to take you to that concert but there are lots of free concerts we could go to this weekend.” This is such a great habit, so start using “but” after any negative statement and be sure you never end a positive statement with “but”!
2. Clap your hands, or make loud noises with pots and pans. Walk through every space of your home, and clap loudly to break up negative energy patterns and allow them to disperse. Have you ever noticed how light and fresh everything seems after a thunderstorm? Same concept!
3. Meditate on love. Love is the highest vibration, and you can infuse yourself and your living and work spaces with a loving meditation where you focus on radiating love to everyone you know.
4. Rearrange the space. Move furniture around – it’s the same concept as the loud noises – and rearrange your furniture and belongings so that there is as much free, open space as possible.
5. Smile and laugh. Laughter is the best medicine, for a reason! Smiling and laughing causes physiological changes. You can’t help but improve your mood (vibration) by smiling!
6. Use a small bowl of sea salt in the northeast and southwest corners of your home. This Feng Shui practice helps balanced chi (energy) to flow through your home.
7. Open windows to let energy flow freely (unless you live somewhere that is heavily polluted). Spend as much time as you can outdoors, feeling the vast expanse of the world and the universe. Set your intention for negative energies to leave you and “hand them over” to the universe; it’s infinite, and can easily “absorb” anything you put out there!
8. Add living plants to your spaces – and again, spend as much time as you can outdoors. Remove dead or dying plants immediately, though – and be careful with this technique if you have a “black thumb.”
9. Avoid negative people. These complainers, drama queens, energy vampires and downers just drag you down. Make excuses… just do what you can to keep your distance.
10. Finally, choose not to hang on to emotions. Ride out the emotion; while you’re feeling the negative emotion, say to yourself, “I feel (sad, angry, whatever)” but never say, “I AM (sad, angry, etc.).” You can let go of feelings but you can’t let go of yourself. Don’t BE the negative energy.